Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WIP GEV Kit Bash Tank - Painting, weathering, making a mess...

Well this is the first time I’ve tried different techniques to weather and make this model look realistic, beaten, and used. I consider it a partial success, but I’m not really happy with the salt technique. I started with air brushing some dark brown and green onto the body of the tank and turret, using my airbrush for the first time in 10 years. I then used the hair spray and salt method so I could get a worn and chip paint look.

That part was fine, but getting the salt off was a bitch and I followed some directions to wash the salt off with warm water and a toothbrush, that failed big time! The water removed more paint then I would have liked and I was stuck with a soggy mess. I finally had to brush all of the lose paint off and let the whole thing dry out. There was a bit of good weathering effect left so I decided to dry brush the black areas left with gun metal and touch up some of the spotty area with enamel. Here are the shots, please provide opinions, I think it looks OK… - Cheers

2 comments:

Luckyjoe said...

I think it does look good. Good save.

Brummie said...

It turned out quite nice. Bit of a post apocalyptic vybe going on

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...